Ooni Koda 16 Recipes
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and also fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely functional given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and also desired a bigger size so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening extra interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, as well as after that once we discovered one we had to find a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. When you connect the propane container, you just turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and I were both happily amazed at how simple the Ooni is to use and exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to reduced and also cooking it awhile longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right and maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He suggests using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the method via.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it top as well as easy gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful however hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt chooses it, but besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I assume that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.