Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They supply a very easy as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, thoughts, as well as suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening extra amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and after that when we located one we had to find a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you attach the lp container, you just transform it approximately high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both happily surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which gives you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp could be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it leading as well as easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we should buy it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Allow me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty simple to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dust picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I assume that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a headache, the actual cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.