Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very versatile because they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, ideas, and also techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening extra exciting!
Also, this is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. Locating that propane storage tank and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp tank, and after that once we found one we had to find a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was certainly less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes when you link the lp tank. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which gives you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warm just right and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely slim in the center. This will give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook all the way through.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it easy and also leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just look for something else comparable online. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also rather easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vow way too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.