Ooni Koda 16 Natural Gas Conversion Kit Reviews
Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and simple means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my pointers, ideas, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might truly trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas container, and after that once we found one we had to find a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was most definitely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you link the propane storage tank, you simply transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly stunned at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy spot which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that said stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it easy and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident yet doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Allow me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was also quite easy to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my companion promise too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
>> Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.