Ooni Koda 16 Indoors
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a fast and also very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet very flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, techniques, and thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane container as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and then when we discovered one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and let it heat up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the propane storage tank. Then reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both happily shocked at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth ideal and also maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely slim in the center. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the method with.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it simple as well as leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful yet hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply search for something else similar online. Let me conserve you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally quite simple to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner swear way too much while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply link the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the real preparing and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.