Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick as well as simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly versatile since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, methods, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly trigger some pleasure for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. Locating that lp tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and then as soon as we located one we had to find a area to get it filled. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of places prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes once you attach the propane tank. Then reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize and just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that said, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare completely with.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just try to find something else similar online. Let me save you some time and also power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute ideal size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty basic to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt decides on it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.