Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet incredibly functional since they can get to such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly stimulate some delight for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas tank, and also then once we found one we had to locate a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins when you attach the gas storage tank. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and just how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which gives you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said claimed, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim between. This will provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare right through.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it leading and straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we ought to purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Let me conserve you some time and energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty basic to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
Something that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any kind of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. You simply link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.