Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple and fast means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however incredibly functional because they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, techniques, and tips – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas container, and after that once we located one we had to discover a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Then lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both happily amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as also a good range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to low and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be simpler. With that claimed, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal and keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook right via.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it top and straightforward gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to purchase it or simply try to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally pretty basic to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion promise too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt settles on it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I assume that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.