Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick and also simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however very versatile considering that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may truly trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we located one we needed to discover a area to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places prior to I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome area which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great range between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a lower temp might be easier. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it basic and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we should get it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise very light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.