Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very functional since they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tips, ideas, and also methods – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and also then once we located one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes once you link the gas tank. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at how simple the Ooni is to use as well as just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. With that said, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal and keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it simple and top lightly. This is not the time to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic however hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just try to find something else similar online. Allow me save you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather easy to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vouch too much while he was putting it with each other and also I assume it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dirt decides on it, but apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.