Ooni Koda 12 Wood
Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very flexible given that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my pointers, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly spark some delight for you and make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, as well as after that as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp storage tank, you just transform it approximately high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both happily amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to use as well as how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be less complicated. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth just right and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms until it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin between. This will give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not add too lots of toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical yet enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we ought to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Yet let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite easy to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no demand to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, yet aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleansing process entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.