Ooni Koda 12 Vs Ooni Koda 16
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They use a quick and easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however very versatile since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, techniques, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and then when we located one we needed to discover a place to get it loaded. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the lp container, you simply turn it up to high and also allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to move the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. With that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin between. This will provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare all the means with.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it simple as well as top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful however skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or just try to discover something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Let me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite simple to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One point that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the real preparing and also prepping to be a bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.