Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a very easy as well as fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but extremely versatile because they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, suggestions, and techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to find a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of locations before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. When you attach the propane tank, you simply turn it as much as high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect as well as keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it gets large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare right with.
- Don’t include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we must acquire it or just try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust decides on it, yet other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.