Ooni Koda 12 Pizza Stone
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however very flexible because they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Tracking down that gas container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was certainly easier than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the propane tank, you simply turn it as much as high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Then reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at how easy the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to reduced and cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp could be easier. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm just right as well as maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a hard cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin in the middle. This will offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the means via.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it leading and basic gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was also rather basic to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, but besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered space to store it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I believe that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.