Ooni Koda 12 Natural Gas
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but super functional because they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, pointers, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and also wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, as well as after that when we found one we had to locate a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing area which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. Keeping that stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and also maintain it moving. However, I was happily stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have actually been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it will not prepare right through.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it leading as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical however confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we must get it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it does not use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered room to keep it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I believe that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise really lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.