Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however super flexible since they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tips, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Locating that gas container and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. With that said said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading and also easy gently. This is not the time to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to explain how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. Let me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth. It was additionally quite basic to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion promise excessive while he was placing it together and I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt picks it, however other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will help it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I believe that making and preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.