Ooni Koda 12 Gas Bottle
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy as well as quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet super flexible given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Finding that propane storage tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to discover a location to get it loaded. Thankfully, our regional equipment store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of locations before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool spot which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way via.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of work to get the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I think that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.