Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however incredibly versatile considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my methods, thoughts, and pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-made, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Tracking down that gas tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and after that once we found one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to move the pizza around and likewise a good distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be much easier. With that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm perfect and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include also numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to get it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, however aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any covered area to store it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.