Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a simple as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but super functional given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, methods, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually trigger some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, as well as after that as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a location to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was certainly less complicated than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the gas container, you just transform it as much as high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool area which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add also lots of toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we should purchase it or just try to locate something else comparable online, I had not been certain. However let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, but other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just link the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that making and also cooking food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.