Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy as well as fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza evening extra interesting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to discover a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was certainly simpler than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins once you link the gas storage tank. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right and maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook right via.
- Do not add too lots of toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s economical as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must acquire it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.