Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet super flexible since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really trigger some joy for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and also after that once we located one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the lp storage tank, you just turn it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 mins. Then lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both happily stunned at just how simple the Ooni is to use and also just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that said said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook all the way through.
- Do not include as well many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Allow me save you some time and power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it together and I think it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, but apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real preparing and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise very lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.