Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however very versatile because they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, tricks, as well as pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and then once we located one we had to locate a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around and likewise a good distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. With that stated, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not include too several garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should get it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise very light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.