Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but incredibly flexible because they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my pointers, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might really spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Tracking down that gas storage tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. With that stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim between. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the means with.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just search for another thing similar online. But let me conserve you time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty straightforward to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was putting it together as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a headache, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.