Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast as well as very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet incredibly versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my techniques, pointers, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may really spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, as well as then when we found one we had to find a location to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you attach the lp tank, you just turn it approximately high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly shocked at how easy the Ooni is to use and just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm perfect as well as keep it relocating. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin in the center. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the means with.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it basic and leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical yet enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we need to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty easy to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow too much while he was placing it with each other and I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dust chooses it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the propane as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I believe that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.