Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however super functional since they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and also wanted a larger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and after that when we located one we had to locate a area to get it loaded. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of areas before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins once you attach the gas storage tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great area which gives you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around and likewise a great range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. With that stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right and keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have actually been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also lots of toppings to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. Yet let me conserve you time as well as energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise way too much while he was putting it together and I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt settles on it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected area to store it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply attach the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I think that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.