Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast as well as easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however super versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, tricks, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. Finding that propane container and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we found one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous concerning the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat perfect as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really prevailed since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare completely through.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it simple and also leading lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful yet doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to get it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.