Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a simple and also quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly functional because they can reach such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, ideas, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and also after that once we located one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp container. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both happily stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize and how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the trendy spot which provides you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be simpler. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth ideal and maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook right via.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it basic and leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to continue to define just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or just look for something else similar online. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty straightforward to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion promise way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected area to save it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You just link the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I believe that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.