Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast as well as easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however super versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Locating that gas storage tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and afterwards when we discovered one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our local equipment shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of places prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you connect the propane container, you just transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly amazed at just how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp could be easier. With that said said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm ideal and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the way with.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it leading and also straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just search for another thing similar online. Allow me save you some time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch excessive while he was placing it together and also I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
Something that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. You just link the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.