Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They use a quick and very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but very functional given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the gas storage tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm just right and keep it moving. However, I was happily stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it easy and leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to get it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, however apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.