Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet very functional considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also desired a bigger size so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy area which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. With that claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it relocating. However, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I truly prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin between. This will provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the way through.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it straightforward and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s economical and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to get it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. However let me conserve you time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather basic to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
Something that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.