Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but extremely functional given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might actually stimulate some joy for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane storage tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and then as soon as we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas before I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might assume! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. When you link the propane tank, you just turn it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize and also how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking as well as low it awhile longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that said stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim in the center. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the means with.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it leading and simple lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One thing that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and preparing food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more job. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.