Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast and very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my tips, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some happiness for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Tracking down that propane container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the gas container. Then reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and also I were both happily stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. Keeping that stated, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick between it will not prepare all the way through.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it easy and also leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical but enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we must get it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected area to store it though.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a headache, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure required. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.