Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They use a fast and also simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however extremely functional since they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Locating that propane tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and then once we discovered one we needed to locate a area to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins as soon as you connect the lp storage tank. Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of and how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great place which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking as well as low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. Keeping that stated, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right and maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin between. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the means via.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Maintain it top and also simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just look for something else comparable online. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty simple to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt settles on it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just link the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I believe that preparing and also making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a bit lengthy, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing process entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.