Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but incredibly flexible given that they can reach such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Tracking down that lp storage tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards when we discovered one we had to locate a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was absolutely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you connect the propane tank, you simply turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 mins. After that lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and also I were both pleasantly shocked at how simple the Ooni is to use and also just how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that said said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth just right and also maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we should buy it or simply try to discover something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also quite simple to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust decides on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply attach the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more work. I was expecting the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a bit lengthy, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.