Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely functional given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my tips, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. Finding that lp tank and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane storage tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. The good news is, our local hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, however I called a TON of locations before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. When you link the propane container, you simply transform it approximately high and let it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. With that claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the means with.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it basic as well as top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical however confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also very crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we should acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was placing it together and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleaning process entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.