Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but super versatile since they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, ideas, and also tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane container, as well as then when we found one we had to find a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing place which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. With that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound ball of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He advises using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the way via.
- Don’t include also many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident yet skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we ought to acquire it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dust decides on it, but apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a headache, the real preparing and prepping to be a bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.