Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my ideas, methods, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really spark some happiness for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and then as soon as we located one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the awesome area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking and reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm ideal and keep it moving. However, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare completely via.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading and basic lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we must acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty simple to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to keep it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I think that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.