Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but very versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, tips, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza night extra amazing!
Also, this is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane storage tank, as well as then when we located one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to low as well as cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal as well as keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I really prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim between. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it top as well as basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we need to get it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real preparing and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.