Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very flexible because they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and afterwards when we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, but I called a TON of areas before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was certainly less complicated than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the propane tank, you just transform it approximately high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use and also just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it straightforward as well as top gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply try to find another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also pretty basic to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow way too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the lp and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s also extremely lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.