Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast and easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but very versatile since they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my pointers, methods, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may truly stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, as well as then once we found one we had to locate a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare right with.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it simple and also top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we should get it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally pretty straightforward to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected area to save it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. Because I assume that making and cooking food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.