Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but very versatile because they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, pointers, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. Locating that gas storage tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and after that once we located one we had to locate a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas prior to I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was most definitely easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 mins when you connect the lp container. Then reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the trendy area which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal and also maintain it relocating. However, I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound round of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin between. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t cook completely with.
- Do not add as well several toppings to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we need to purchase it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the lp and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage area to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.