Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast and also very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely flexible since they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, methods, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really spark some delight for you and make pizza night extra exciting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and also then once we found one we had to find a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you attach the gas container, you just transform it approximately high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and I were both happily surprised at how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around and additionally a great distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. Keeping that stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm just right and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it top and also simple gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been certain if we need to get it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected space to store it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I believe that making and preparing food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.