Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super functional since they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, as well as tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Also, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and then once we found one we had to locate a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp could be much easier. With that stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth perfect and keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too numerous toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful yet hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to define how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should buy it or just look for something else similar online. Let me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vouch too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered area to save it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just link the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. Because I assume that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.