Ooni Fyra Wood-fired Pizza Oven
Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick as well as simple method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tips, techniques, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to locate a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit longer at a lower temp could be easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim between. This will give you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook right through.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. However let me save you a long time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was also pretty basic to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner swear too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the lp and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit taxing, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise very lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little storage area to maintain it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.