Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a simple as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely functional considering that they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my techniques, tips, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza evening much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and after that when we found one we had to locate a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you connect the gas container, you simply transform it up to high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize and also how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking and low it awhile longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said stated, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really prevailed since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it obtains big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook all the means through.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it leading and also straightforward gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as very crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain just how tasty the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to acquire it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, but other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I believe that cooking and making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally very lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.