Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick as well as very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but extremely functional because they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. I’m not sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and also after that once we located one we had to find a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you attach the propane tank, you just transform it as much as high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to use and how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp could be simpler. Keeping that stated, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat ideal and also maintain it relocating. I was happily stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it simple and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely melted immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just search for another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright best size, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally quite simple to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner vouch too much while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
Something that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a problem, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.