Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, tricks, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Locating that gas tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we needed to locate a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to move the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temp could be simpler. With that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin between. This will offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the method through.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading and simple gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we should buy it or just try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. However let me save you time and power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise rather easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, yet other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the actual cooking and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure entailed. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.