Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a simple as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane storage tank and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp tank, and then as soon as we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the lp tank, you simply turn it as much as high as well as allow it warm up for 20 mins. Then lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily stunned at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the cool spot which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temperature could be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the center. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook completely with.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple and also top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should acquire it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
Something that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I assume that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.