Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and also simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might truly spark some delight for you and make pizza night much more exciting!
Also, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not certain why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp tank, and then once we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you connect the propane tank. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy place which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I really lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare right with.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it simple and also leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical but hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we ought to get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. But let me conserve you time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty easy to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was placing it together and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I believe that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.