Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy as well as fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet incredibly flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my methods, pointers, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a durable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and additionally a great range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. However, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it straightforward as well as top gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we should buy it or just attempt to find something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. However let me save you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather simple to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it together as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.